And he’s here!

I try to keep this blog about food and recipes but since I announced my pregnancy earlier in the summer, I felt compelled to announce that….

Cason Scott made his appearance in this great big world on October 19 at 6:58 pm with a weight of 7lb 2oz and a length of 19.75 inches. He was three weeks early. Since I’m a bit of a weirdo, I’m not posting his picture here. But trust me, he’s gorgeous. And if you don’t believe me, you can ask either set of grandparents. Or his proud daddy.

His arrival was not without some humor. On Friday, October 18, I met two of my girlfriends for dinner at Panera. They wanted to have “one last dinner” before I got too pregnant to get out or too busy with a baby to get out. The last thing that one of my friends said was “Call us when your water breaks..or however that works.”

About thirty minutes later, I was loading groceries into my car at Meijer when my water broke. I wasn’t really sure what was happening to be honest. I thought perhaps my bladder was just a little wonky. I went on home, put away the perishables and referred to my What to Expect book. After a few minutes, it was evident that this was more than a leaky bladder. I called the hospital and they said they’d be waiting. I was admitted and labor was confirmed.

I was shocked. I was not expecting him to be 3 weeks early. My husband began calling our families and they began driving in from various points of eastern Kentucky. After trying to get him moving all night and all of the next day, a sonogram on Saturday evening revealed that he was breech. A C-Section was ordered.

And so at 6:58 pm, the most beautiful face that I’ll ever see was flashed in front of me. The C-Section experience is weird because you’re fully awake but not really able to participate. I couldn’t even hold the baby immediately. They whisked him and my husband to the nursery where our families were waiting, and I was moved to recovery where I spent a loopy couple of hours trying to come out of the spell of the epidural.

Finally, at around 10:15pm they brought him to my room for a little while. I was still under the influence of the meds and couldn’t really move so they didn’t let him stay long. My husband texted me a picture that he took in the nursery so when I would wake up in the night, I’d look at his sweet face on my phone.

We both did really well and were released on Monday. I was fortunate to have my mom and mother-in-law to help the first week. He’s a good baby and has made being a new mom fairly easy.

So, that’s where I am. Oh yes, I’m also collecting lots of recipes. In fact, I’m working on a post that I started pre-labor. I can’t wait to get back in the kitchen!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s